Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
3D Renderer with XBlite
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

XBLite Forum    General Boards    XBLite Programming  ›  3D Renderer with XBlite
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

3D Renderer with XBlite  This thread currently has 3,450 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
August 3, 2008, 11:15am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Every autumn, i start a new project.My [Sept 2007/June 2008] project was an OpenGL 3D engine with XBlite.I can't implement more features because i reached the limits of my hardware (Athlon XP2400+ & ATI Radeon 9800), so i stopped the project.I learned a lot with this project and i feel sad to keep it somewhere on my HD so if someone is interested, i could clean up a bit the code and share the source code.It is 95% XBLite and some critical functions (MMX blocks, stencil shadows) has been written for NASM.

Here are the devellopement screenshots : http://picasaweb.google.fr/fano.aka.mainbit.aka.hexagon/DevellopementMyEMyE2

And a brief list of main features :
  • GLSL programs (ppl,bump) with omni/spot lights
  • Automatic texture resizing
  • Q3BSP based maps (faces,brushes,patches/curves)
  • Model manager that allows to add models format easily (actually only MD3 is implemented)
  • Simple shadow mapping (2D & Cube) for statics
  • Stencil shadows for dynamics (connectivity fast algorithm)
  • Dynamic generation for shadows with caching system (only update shadowmaps/stencil geometry when needed)
  • BSP portal system partially implemented
Experimental features :
  • Bloom
  • Soft shadows
  • Glass/Water shaders

It is fully fonctionnal but some things need to be improved like shadows mapping (need to have a GFX card with float textures to do things like VSM, portal system need to be linked to objects) and some missing (MD3 animation, patches/curves stencil shadows).
For a more solid usage, a file system and a memory manager could be added , the entrypoints are already defined.
E-mail E-mail
XBLiteAdmin
August 3, 2008, 1:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Administrator Group
fano,

Wow, incredible work. So yes, it would be fantastic if you would share your sources and any demonstration programs.

ciao,
D.
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 11
August 3, 2008, 9:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
It looks very interesting.  If you wish, I can convert your NASM code to GoAsm.

Greg
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 11
August 6, 2008, 8:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks a lot , this is great

I am going to build a demo with map and models.I'll try to make something light as possible to upload on Google Groups.I'll post here when it will be finished.

Greg, i am used to use NASM for its simplicity but that would be nice if you could convert asm code to GoAsm so users may be able to compile the whole code with tools packed with XBlite.I attached source asm.

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 11
August 7, 2008, 11:35am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
The NASM code is very interesting.  I will post the conversion here within a few days.

What is your license?  Is it a form of "open source" or public domain?  Can I use portions of it in my own work or xblite?

Yours,
Greg
E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 11
August 7, 2008, 8:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 13
What is your license?  Is it a form of "open source" or public domain?  Can I use portions of it in my own work or xblite?

I oftenly write code for myself and rarely release so i am pretty ignorant about licenses.
After taking a look to various licenses, i decided to release the sources under GNU GPL/LGPL license.That would be a pleasure to know someone found usage for my code

E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 11
Rhett Thompson
August 28, 2008, 3:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Your engine seems to be very...umm...awesome!  I would very much like to get the source an play with it Good job!
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message AIM AIM Windows Live Messenger WLM Reply: 6 - 11
August 28, 2008, 6:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi rhett, i am still working to integrate asm code directly in XBlite code and suppress DLL that was need before.The other problem is to reduce the size of the package because i used severals set of textures to test it and i must check to keep only needed materials.

If you have a better card like me (it is not very difficult, an old x800 does the trick), there is a lot of fun things to add to it (VSM shadows,FBO,deferred shading,etc...)
E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 11
Rhett Thompson
August 28, 2008, 11:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Baby Member
I've been using an engine called Horde3D for some time now (which supports most of your proposed features already), but I'd be totally willing to drop it for one written in Xblite.  I have a radeon hd 4870, and a radeon hd 3870x2 so adding modern features won't be a problem.  Please post it, because I am very interested
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message AIM AIM Windows Live Messenger WLM Reply: 8 - 11
August 29, 2008, 4:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
To wait a bit before it is finished, there are 2 GPL projects that learned a me a lot when reading sources :

Octagon Engine : A bit outdated engine written in C++, pure OO style, very interesting (especially TBN computing and bezier curves method) : http://www.paulsprojects.net/opengl/octagon/octagon.html

Xreal Engine : Q3 engine heavy modification (C), I learned a lot when looking at its GLSL shaders : http://xreal.sourceforge.net/xrealwiki
E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 11
September 3, 2008, 1:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Done ! Don't have a host so uploaded it on rapidshare.It has a little demo map, controls are arrow keys, mouse to look around and space for the flash light.

http://rapidshare.com/files/142306734/mye2.zip.html
E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 11
Rhett Thompson
September 3, 2008, 3:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Good job!
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message AIM AIM Windows Live Messenger WLM Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

XBLite Forum    General Boards    XBLite Programming  ›  3D Renderer with XBlite

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread